These courses are not just for leaders. Parents who have not done much camping can benefit greatly from taking these courses.
- Hazardous Weather (valid for two years)
Required for any outdoor activity
- BALOO – Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation
To have a Pack camp-out, at least one unit leader must be BALOO trained – also a great training class for parents with limited camping experience
- Outdoor Leadership Skills for Webelos Leaders
Required for leading Webelos campouts. The course is normally a day and a half long and conducted at a local scout camp on a weekend.
- CPR / First Aid
- Safe Swim Defense
Required for participating in any Cub Scout swimming activity
- Safety Afloat
Required for leading any boating activity
Check the training calendar, or talk with unit commissioner, district training chair, or the Westside Service Center to find out when and where these courses are offered.
- Cub Scout Outdoor Essentials (Appendix P – BALOO Training)
- Sleeping Bags (Appendix N – BALOO Training)
- Tents and Shelter (Appendix O – BALOO Training)
- Ten Essentials
- Sample Pack Camping Agenda (Appendix W – BALOO training)
- Leave No Trace
- Sample Scouts’ Own Interfaith Service
- Campfires – Appendix S in BALOO Training
- Campfire Program Planner
- Cub Scout Song Book
- MacScouter’s Big Book of Skits (over 350 skits for the campfire!)